Sunday, October 18, 2009

Jay's Playlist: Kingdom Hearts Piano Collections

Welcome to my playlist, where I discuss the music which is currently entertaining me. Below you will find a video, press play to begin the song and then read my feelings on the album.

Today's playlist is: The Other Promise from the Kingdom Hearts Piano Collections


One of my favorite genres is soundtracks. One of my favorite sub-genre of soundtracks is game soundtracks (it is much easier to become attached to music that you hear repeatedly during an emotional 50 hour game). And my favorite sub-genre of game soundtracks is orchestral/band/piano arrangements (most game music is simple techno sounds, arranging it for an orchestra brings a new sound, and legitimacy, to old familiar themes).

One of my favorite game companies is Squaresoft (now called SquareEnix). Definitely my favorite games series from Square is the Final Fantasy series (which also has my favorite game music). And finally, one of my favorite animation companies is Disney...

Are you ready for this? Because it is a doozy: Kingdom Hearts is a game by Squaresoft that takes Final Fantasy characters and mixes them into Disney worlds so the stars of Final Fantasy are working with Mickey, Donald, Goofy, et al, to save other Disney/Final Fantasy characters from Disney/Final Fantasy villains. The soundtrack compose then arranged the Kingdom Hearts musical themes for concert piano and released them as a part of the Kingdom Hearts Piano Collection (KH:PC). If there ever was an amalgam of my favorites, this is it.

The biggest difference between the KH:PC and the many Final Fantasy Piano Collections
is the range of difficulty. I am able to perform most of the FF PC pieces but the KH:PC pieces are on a whole other level of difficulty. Listen to this piece beginning at 0:44 and again at 3:06 and hear my piano fingers whimper in fright:


Regardless of my performance chances, this music is some of my favorite to listen to and currently holds the honor of being the most played pieces in my 14,000+ song iTunes library (to be fair, the play count was reset last year due to a clean OS install). Hopefully you can enjoy it too even without having the emotional connections the I have to the original game/characters/music...

Bonus playlist
Listen to The Other Promise's (first piece linked above) hauntingly beautiful melody performed by an orchestra:


And if you are curious, watch the trailer to Kingdom Hearts to get a better idea of the game:

No comments:

Post a Comment