Sunday, October 25, 2009

Jay's playlist: Skullmonkeys

Welcome to my playlist, where I discuss the music which is currently entertaining me. Below you will find a video, press play to begin the song and then read my feelings on the album.

Today's playlist is: Skullmonkeys (also Imaginarium: The Neverhood Chronicles)

Earlier this week I discussed animations from The Neverhood Chronicles. The animation in these games is quirky and humorous, but they wouldn't be as quirky or humorous without a soundtrack that was also quirky and humorous (okay, I'll stop now).

I enjoy the music to these games, it is just different. Mostly it is one guy (Terry S. Taylor) singing weird nonsensical words while accompanied by a guitar, electric piano, and drum set (and occasionally an organ and accordion). And once you think you've heard every noise his voice can make he changes the speed of it for an awesome (or not) "chipmunk" effect. Honestly, unlike other albums from my playlist, I can't listen to this one for very long but occasionally I get in the mood for goofy music and this is at the top of my list.

Some of his music actually uses lyrics but they still don't make much sense. Take this soundtrack from the Spanish-themed level "Castle de Los Muertos":
(no food makes an appearance in this level, it is just... weird)

Some of it makes you want to jump in a lake and swim...


Some of it makes you want to kill whoever created the "chipmunk effect"...


And some of it takes familiar schoolyard poems and adds a much needed chorus...



Bonus playlist:
This is one of the most literal "Bonus Room" songs I have ever heard (a game's bonus room is an extra level with no enemies that let's you collect money, coins, items, etc for extra points):

I'll never leave you...

No comments:

Post a Comment