Sunday, January 31, 2010

State of the Passions: Art

Today this blog turns 150 days old. I began this blog with a goal of bettering myself incrementally each day:
This blog will document my passions, progress, and random musings so at the end of the day I can look back and see that, while I have not reached everything I have hoped for, I am further than when I started. And tomorrow is always another day on the road to a new Jay.
I then laid out My Passions in my second post. So where I am 150 days later, specifically Art?

Animation: I have completed my first official reel and received invaluable feedback on it. I've moved ahead on two more shots: filming reference, getting feedback, etc. I'm currently debating which one to focus on as they each show completely different strengths tailored towards the video game and film industries respectively. Updates on theses shots will appear on this site soon. I have two other shots on the backburner, plus updates to my short, which I hope to do eventually but currently don't improve my real in the direction I wish to go. I'm also setting my next goals in relation to the field and doing research nearly every day on where to go next. My biggest goal (that can be announced here) is to have a new reel by this time next year, meaning I created work so good that it completely replaces all my current work (which I really enjoy). In the not too distant future I will need to solidify my final career direction and pour all my focus into it, but for now I learning and enjoying the different options available to me. As long as my reel improves incrementally each week, I learn new concepts in animation often, and I am an active part of the industry (well, socially) then I feel complete in this goal.

Photography: This passion got a lot of attention on this blog, more than I originally planned. Unlike animation, which takes weeks of work for a few seconds of content for the blog, I can generate 5 posts of photography content with just 3 hours of exploration of the local terrain. Most of my posts have been of my family, which is when I use my camera the most often, but I am also beginning a collection of artistic shots which I will post on this site.

Videos: While I've taken many videos, I have not edited them together into a music video in a while. Although I will have one for Elliot's 6 month birthday (which is a tradition for my kids) my artistic focus has been on the previous 2 categories. Although, a few videos have slipped through the past few months, including Elliot's first video. By day 300, the new Elliot video will be posted as will a selection related archived videos.

Overall, I am seeing progress in my art. Only time, consistency, and perseverance will take me to the next level, and this blog will be a great documentation of that journey!

No comments:

Post a Comment