Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Gonna Fly Now - 5k

About 9 months ago I came across a website that detailed how anyone can train for a 5k (3 mile) run (humorously called "Couch to 5k"). At the time, my biggest running accomplishment was running about 2 miles on the beach and that was 10 years earlier (and I was motivated by trying to impress a girl who literally ran circles around me). But this training plan made the 5k not only sound doable, but easy. Sure enough, within 7 weeks of the 12 week goal I ran my first non-stop 5k with time of 34:30 minutes (or roughly at 11:10 per mile pace). I continued to train through the weeks and eventually got my time down to 28:50. Then the winter rains rolled around (and I had a baby which is a little distracting) and I didn't run as often. Last month I began again and ran my first sub 8 minute mile, but I still hadn't tried a full 5k. Today that changed.

And I ran it in 26:47 after not running one in 4 months.

Although, my iPod was set to the Rocky theme for most of the run so that may have had something to do with it.

When I first started running a 27 minute 5k seemed like a distant dream. Now, I am wondering if 24 minutes is really that hard. We shall see...

(Gonna Fly Nooooooooow)

No comments:

Post a Comment