Monday, March 8, 2010

Jay's Playlist: Children of Sanchez (Mangione)

Welcome to my playlist, where I discuss the music which is currently entertaining me. Below you will find a video, press play to begin the song and then read my feelings on the album.

Today's playlist is Children of Sanchez by Chuck Mangione


I played the trumpet in my high school jazz band when I was 15 (and again at 18 but at a different high school). Like many people who played instruments in their youth, playing/practicing/performing the same music numerous times a day for months at a time tends leave an impression of piece long after you have stopped playing it. If the music is "good" (or catchy) then even better! One piece that stays with me to this day is "Children of Sanchez" by Chuck Mangione, which featured my first solo on lead flugel horn. Unfortunately (or, after removing the rose-colored glasses, fortunately) no recordings of my performance exist.



I still play this song when I need to liven up the day, and can still finger along (aka "air trumpet") with the notes even though I haven't played the piece in 13 years. I can remember the notes to a solo I haven't played since before I could drive, but I still don't know where I put my damn keys this morning. Such is life.


I would play more Mangione tunes later in college, including another favorite: "The Land of Make Believe"


Fortunately (or unfortunately?) a recording of me playing this does exist...
(watch from 1:50 to 4:50)

1 comment:

  1. You can see Jen and I at 2:07. This was so cool.

    ReplyDelete